Year 6 to 7 Transition for SEND learners
The move from Primary to Secondary School should be an exciting time for students, but all too often it can feel daunting. Many students and parents feel anxious about the transition and this concern can be heightened for SEND students. We offer a comprehensive transition for SEND students that includes:
- Established relationships with feeder primary schools to ensure that we have a strong understanding of the learning needs, trigger points, assessment data and positive support strategies of all students before they join us at BBS.
- Early involvement in Y6 EHCP Annual Reviews.
- 1:1 meetings between the BBS SEND team, students and families in the summer team to allow for co-production of support and provision plans.
- Opportunities for SEND learners to meet with the key adults who will work with them in y7, including their tutor, key worker, SENDCo and HLTA.
- Welcome packs that include maps, example timetables, support plans and ‘all about me’ forms.
- Opportunities for Engage learners to spend a morning in Engage taking part in taster lessons.
- Development of support plans and addition to the SEND register before the student starts school in September
- An opportunity for every Y7 SEND student and family to meet with the SENDCo in the Autumn Term to review and refine support plans.
- Early communication of support plans and SEND needs to teaching staff from the first day of teaching in September.
- A warm welcome on Day 1 for the student by their key worker.